Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Smile like you mean it

“Smile and take it like a bitch”, was a very common expression at Devils ISP, mostly because as low as we were, there was always room to move down.

The air-con died, water would stop running and payroll would forget to pay you and then promised to pay you in the next pay run, which was 2 week later.

But the calls, they were endless.

Rain, hail or senseless idiot, the calls would not stop.

Once there was a fire drill and we were evacuating the building, a colleague had a customer on the line that refused to let him leave.

Sam: Sir, the fire alarm is going off; I need to leave the building
Cust: I don’t care if the building is on fire, your fixing my internet
Sam: The welfare of the staff is on the line, I have to leave
Cust: I said no, fix my computer.

If it were me I would have hung up and left, frankly I don’t need a fire alarm to hang-up on people,

A friend of mine asked why I have the attitude of a rattle snake when concerning customers.

To put it simply, I was not always like this; I used to be a nice guy.

Dealing with moronic people all day every day for 1.5years takes a toll.

We were told to smile, cause the customer can “see” it as we speak, we had to jump thru hoops, once your done dealing with either a moron, dictator or manager. You move on to take the next call, and then the next call, and then the next call.

You recover from the blows the customers deal but the psychological and spiritual scars never heal, the customers eat at your soul till theirs nothing left and you’re a burnt out empty husk of your former self.

If you do not understand now what its like to work at Devils ISP then please crawl back under the rock you came from.

Lesson learned, no air-con and water make Rice go crazy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home